Breadcrumbs

Prop pitch question

More
11 Oct 2024 04:45 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Prop pitch question
Back when I was flying 5644F C90-16F I flew with a 71/53 prop 124 MPH was not uncommon. Flying mostly So Cal mostly in the 5500' plus range. Never over rev engine! I would send the Tac into have an overhaul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2024 05:10 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Prop pitch question
Three hour legs are my limit, 2.5 are a lot easier for some reason. Don’t drink a lot of anything before going, of course. For me my biggest issue is fatigue. Get plenty of rest. Don’t fall asleep at 5509 feet! After three flights of 2 to 3 hours, I am always pretty tired, but satisfied I used that airplane for its intended purpose!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooks McNew

More
09 Oct 2024 02:56 #3 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Prop pitch question
Nice! One of the trips I want to make will be from Maryland to Missouri, which usually is supposed to be 7-9 hours each way depending on wind. I've never flown that many hours at once so I plan to allow plenty of time to stop if I need to.

More
08 Oct 2024 21:48 #4 by Larry Snyder
I just flew nearly 9 hours yesterday, traveling from Mountain View, Arkansas, to Williamsburg, Virginia, 750 nautical miles. We were pretty much stuck at 108 mph or so the whole trip, even crossing the Appalachian mountains at 5500 feet. Ground speed wasn’t as fast, unfortunately.

More
08 Oct 2024 18:53 #5 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Prop pitch question
Thanks Larry!

I haven't had much chance for straight-and-level cross country flight but I'm looking forward to taking a few trips this fall and winter. For chair-flying purposes I've been using 105 mph cruise speed when flight planning... if I'm lucky I'll beat that but if not I hope to be at least close to it.

More
05 Oct 2024 20:19 #6 by Larry Snyder
I cruise at 2350-2400 rpm. Speed varies depending on how heavy the plane is. Many times my wife and I will start a trip at 105 mph with full fuel and then speed up to 110 at the end of the trip since we’re 75 pounds lighter.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds