Breadcrumbs

C-85 intake valve

More
18 Aug 2024 11:23 #1 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic C-85 intake valve
THanks for those links, I may need them. Compression on the cylinder is currently 78/80, up from 60/80 so I don't think lapping would gain me anything. The cylinder is a new Millenium, only 50 hours on it and still under warranty. I don't know why the intake valve stuck in the first place so there is probably something else going on and I intend to investigate further. I sent the photos to Superior Air Parts, but haven't heard back yet. I don't want to replace the entire cylinder since I just got it broken in, but I may end up replacing the valve, in which case your links will be invaluable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2024 21:20 #2 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic C-85 intake valve
If you got as far as the rope trick, you may be comfortable enough to try lapping the valve in place. 

Here's a written description

Here's a great presentation from the EAA Webinar series

And a video of the process .

More
15 Aug 2024 22:31 #3 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic C-85 intake valve
I started to mention rope trick but didn't due to color of valva - just goes to show one doesn't get too old to learn!!
Would like to know hrs on engine, etc.
Be sure you report back, 5 hr, etc.
Sorry for the trouble but will be a great learing exercise - some may not have heard of "rope trick" - would make a good article/reprintfor the paper.

More
15 Aug 2024 17:02 - 15 Aug 2024 17:04 #4 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic C-85 intake valve
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the rope trick and it worked, at least temporarily. Compression is back to normal and it is running normally. I will run it a few hours then perform another borescope and see if the valve discoloration starts to even out.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2024 17:04 by Ronald Raty.

More
15 Aug 2024 10:36 #5 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic C-85 intake valve
Prior to pulling the cylinder you might want to try utilizing the "rope trick" and lap the valve in place.

More
13 Aug 2024 22:50 #6 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic C-85 intake valve
Excellent diagnostics and photo - whole procedure!

You know the answer , send to a good shop, unless known good one local and OH, possible guides and valves, etc. or possible IRAN, inspect, repair, as needed. All depends on hours on engine, etc.

Ron, I've seen you contribute here and I kinda feel like I'm "preaching to the choir"! Advertise and may find someone with a sprare OH one.2c

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds