Breadcrumbs

Wing center AD

More
07 Aug 2024 17:19 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Wing center AD
Every 3 years it has to be done. And don’t forget that new AD that calls for checking aileron play every year and validating your ASI every 4 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2024 17:13 #2 by Diane Bancroft
Replied by Diane Bancroft on topic Wing center AD
I did have a pre-buy inspection and I do think they should have checked this, but I wasn’t aware that it should have been done. Is there a date that it needs to be done by?

More
07 Aug 2024 02:43 - 07 Aug 2024 19:42 #3 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Wing center AD
I inspected mine with a borescope before purchase. You can buy a surprisingly good borescope on Amazon for around $100. Mine uses my phone for a screen, much better resolution than most cheap view screens, and I can save snapshots or video straight to my phone where I have it handy anytime.

BUT I found it difficult to fully visualize the important areas of the center section spar with the borescope, so I took the wings off. It's surprisingly quick and easy with a coupe. I'd say that at this point with one semi-skilled helper I can get them on and off in 90 minutes.

Once the wings are off you can see the entire rear very clearly, and if you need complete access to the front of the spar you can get the fuel tanks off in another half hour. No special tricks or tools it's very straightforward.

You're likely to find at least some light surface rust on the steel wing attach brackets that are riveted to the aluminum spar. As long as it's still airworthy you now have perfect access to clean it up and treat with an anti corrosive to prevent it from every getting bad.

In short, don't let the "wings gotta come off" part bother you it's surprisingly easy to do.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2024 19:42 by Brooks McNew.

More
06 Aug 2024 17:48 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Wing center AD
I’m surprised a mechanic doesn’t have a bore scope! It can be done by taking the wings off, which isn’t as bad as it sounds. Some folks have had new inspection holes cut into the belly which allows for the best view. But a couple of planes were made unairworthy by nicking the bottom spar cap. I personally think the bore scope or wing removal methods are fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diane Bancroft

More
06 Aug 2024 17:25 #5 by Diane Bancroft
Wing center AD was created by Diane Bancroft
I recently purchased a Forney and was told that I need to do the wing inspection for the AD in September.  I was told that it is a simple thing that can be done with a borescope.  I am now finding that the local mechanics in Connecticut don’t have the proper borescope.  I’ll have it home in Florida soon.  Do the wings need to come off, or will I be able to find someone that has the proper borescope down here?  Any suggestions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid Brain

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds