Breadcrumbs

415-C Side windows info

More
03 Oct 2024 11:53 #7 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic 415-C Side windows info
Yeah they do crack easily... I needed three windows to replace mine because I cracked one!

I borrowed a tip from the Vans RV builders that worked perfectly. When you squeeze the soft rivets they can expand a bit and crack the drilled hole. So I match drilled the holes at 1/8" with the frames, then removed the frames and upsized the holes to 5/16" so the rivets wouldn't actually touch the plastic. Used "plasti drill" bits which cut through the materiel like butter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2024 11:17 #8 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic 415-C Side windows info
Plexiglass is a brand name for acrylic plastic. They are the same thing. The choice for glazing is typically acrylic (Plexiglass) vs polycarbonate (Lexan). From what I remember, Polycarbonate is more flexible so it is less likely to crack while forming to the curves of an Ercoupe or when drilling. It is also easier to scratch.

More
03 Oct 2024 03:01 #9 by James Davis
Replied by James Davis on topic 415-C Side windows info
I will order from Vernon. I always do.

More
03 Oct 2024 02:56 #10 by Brooks McNew
You can call LP Aero directly, I just got mine through Vernon so he gets his commission. I also got the tinted windows. They offer clear, grey tint, or green tint. Same price for any color.

More
03 Oct 2024 01:47 - 03 Oct 2024 01:47 #11 by James Davis
Replied by James Davis on topic 415-C Side windows info
I am just trying to find out where I can get a little tinted version of the side windows. I'll take care of the riveting. All I need is the Plexiglass or Acrylic pieces.
Yes, I'll talk to Vernon but I just wanted to give him a little time because last time I talked to him he mentioned they were having really heavy rain due to hurricane Helene and water was getting into his shop. I don't know if he is dealing with some level of flooding. Didn't want to bother him just after that. He may have been busy with cleanup!
Last edit: 03 Oct 2024 01:47 by James Davis.

More
03 Oct 2024 01:24 #12 by Brooks McNew
Talk to Vernon about the wobbly channel. He can also have windows shipped to you from Aero Plastics. They're reasonably priced if you're willing to unrivet and re-rivet the top and bottom frame from your old windows into your new windows. It's pretty easy (I just did this myself) because they're soft-type rivets.

If you want complete window assemblies with the top and bottom frame already installed... That's also available but significantly pricier.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds